Boosting Immunity for “Back to School”
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” – Benjamin Franklin
Whether you have children in school, homeschooling, or you’re kid free, it’s that time of year where the back to school germs flying around can affect us all. Grocery stores, libraries, and other public places all have the potential to spread germs. As we move into fall and temperatures drop with less sunlight exposure, our bodies could use a little immune boost.
While most public places take measures to reduce the spread of illness, with sanitization and public hand sanitizers, the best defense against germs is a strong immune system. Its common for colds and flus during winter months and we may not be able to prevent all illness, but a little preventative measures can go a long way. Diet, exercise, and adequate sleep all support strong immunity. boostingimmunity
First and foremost, a healthy diet is essential to boosting immunity. Highly processed foods, dyes, artificial sweeteners, and chemical preservatives are all things to steer clear of. Quick and easy may be convenient, but its best to avoid these things to prevent sickness. A balanced diet with whole foods will provide nutrients the body needs to fight off infection and function at its best. boostingimmunity
Unhealthy foods can cause inflammation in the body, making it harder to fight infection. Here are some foods to support a healthy body and mind:
- Colorful fruits and vegetables
- Organic leafy greens
- Nuts and seeds
- Wild-caught fish
- Organic eggs
- Grass-fed beef/organic poultry
Essential oils are an excellent option to boost immunity, promote restful sleep, and help calm the mind. Therapeutic grade oils provide the best results. Lavender and chamomile can be used to support a good nights rest. Sleep is essential for immunity and overall wellness. Here are essential oils to keep on hand during cold and flu season:
- Eucalyptus – eucalyptus is an uplifting oil that promotes mental clarity and support the respiratory system.
- Lavender – lavender promotes restful sleep and has been shown to reduce depression and anxiety
- Peppermint – peppermint is excellent for mental clarity and opening up the airways. Its great to have on hand for sinus congestion and colds.
- Lemon – lemon oil helps supports immunity, and promotes nutrient absorption.
- Thieves – thieves is a blend of clove, cinnamon, lemon, eucalyptus, and rosemary from Young Living Essentail Oils. It can be rubbed on the bottoms of feet to boost immunity and diffused into the air to reduce airborne germs.
If you’re interested in support with meal planning or would like a customized oil blend to boost immunity and support your overall wellness, contact us today for your personal blend!
About Makin Wellness
Founded in 2017 , Makin Wellness is Pittsburgh’s premier therapy & coaching centers located in Downtown Pittsburgh and Downtown New Kensington. The company’s mission is to help people heal and become happy again. Makin Wellness specializes in depression, anxiety, addiction, trauma, medical marijuana assisted treatment and relationship counseling.