Holistic Remedies for Anxiety
Anxiety, stress, worry, and fear are all too common in today’s world. In our hurried lives we’re all looking for a quick fix to stress and anxiety. Finding calm in the chaos is a much more holistic process, though. It takes looking inward with an honest self-evaluation. Being mindful, self-aware, and present with ourselves is the first step in finding healthy approaches to reducing anxiety. The more in tune we are with ourselves, the more ability we have to promote healing.
“Holistic medicine gently works on correcting an underlying condition, and requires a high level of participation on the part of the patient.” – David Crow
In our last post, we defined wellness as “the state of being in good health, especially as an actively pursued goal.” This is therefore a day-to-day effort that often requires breaking old habits, and moving outside of our comfort zones. As we open ourselves to change and become more adaptable, we move into growth and become better versions of ourselves. anxiety
Fear of the unknown may cause us anxiety, making us move back into comfort, in turn making change more difficult. Techniques to promote positive thinking are especially helpful in taking action toward positive change, allowing us to move out of our comfort zones.
In some instances, other health conditions such as food sensitivities, or an overactive thyroid, may be the culprit of anxiety disorders. Excess sugar and caffeine is something else to consider. Finding the root cause will provide the resources and tools necessary to gain control over anxiety, before it gains control over you. anxiety
While anxiety medications may provide temporary relief, it is like a band-aid versus getting to the root cause, and does not come without side effects. To bring balance to the mind and body, daily wellness habits need to be incorporated.
Consider the following holistic remedies for anxiety relief:
- Deep Breathing – Deep belly breathing is a quick way to reduce cortisol and promote a calming sensation to the mind and body. Diaphramatic breathing is a relaxation technique shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Walk Barefoot – A term called “earthing” is a natural technique used to reduce anxiety by stimulating the mind and body. It may improve sleep by improving circadian rhythms, improve mood and energy, boost immunity, and reduce stress. In warmer months, take a walk outside in the grass, breath deep, and feel the healing effects of nature!
- Eat Whole Foods – Fueling our mind and body with nutrient dense foods provides the needed vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to keep our bodies functioning at its best. A whole-foods plant based diet has shown to be the optimum diet for wellness, vitality and longevity. Eating a variety of fresh foods is best.
- Exercise – Exercise is one of the best tools for wellness. Walking outside and exercising in nature has even more added benefits with oxygen from fresh air, greenscapes raising serotonin levels, and sun exposure increasing vitamin D levels.
- Aromatherapy – Essential oils are the lifeblood of plants, steam distilled from leaves, stems, and flowers. They provide support to each body system, helping to relieve stress, boost immunity, and promote restful sleep. Inhaling lavender has shown to produce a calming effect, reducing stress and anxiety. Bergamot may help reduce the stress response, along with chamomile. Lavender and chamomile have long been used as a sleep aid – calming the mind and helping you let go of worries. Contact us at Makin Wellness for your very own custom blend of therapeutic grade essential oils! Incorporating massage with essential oils is the perfect way to relieve tension!
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – CBT is a form of talk therapy that may be used by a mental health counselor to promote positive thought processes. It focuses on improving emotional regulation and developing coping skills. This technique helps find new approaches to problems, helping boost happiness and positivity.
- Cannabidiol Oil – Cannabidiol or CBD, has shown to reduce anxiety and promote restful sleep. Unlike THC, CBD is non-psychoative, meaning it does not get the user “high,” rather it promotes a feeling of calm and focus. Ayurvedic medicine believes CBD to be most beneficial with the combination of other herbs. A naturopathic doctor can recommend what would work best with your unique wellness goals and circumstances. NuLeaf Naturals is an all natural, organic brand made in Colorado.
Makin Wellness is happy in providing an individualized and customizable approach to support optimal wellness. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Nutritional Counseling, Aromatherapy, and stress management techniques are just a few of the ways we help our clients heal and become happy again. Contact us for a free 15 minute consultation and begin your wellness journey today! wellness
About Makin Wellness
Founded in 2017 , Makin Wellness is Pittsburgh’s premier therapy & coaching centers located in Downtown Pittsburgh and Downtown New Kensington. The company’s mission is to help people heal and become happy again. Makin Wellness specializes in depression, anxiety, addiction, trauma, medical marijuana assited treatment and relationship counseling. anxiety