Spring Cleaning: Emotional and Mental Detox
Winter months have passed, with new life sprouting and feelings of renewed energy in this spring season. It’s the time for clearing out clutter and spring cleaning. Perhaps you’re planning on cleaning windows, clearing away cobwebs, or getting out in your garden. The feeling of a fresh clean home, with sunshine pouring through the windows may come to mind. No doubt, a feeling of satisfaction follows after completing these chores…..even feeling therapeutic!
What about decluttering the mind?
After a long winter cooped up inside, spending some time outdoors can clear the mind, and renew the spirit. This may be difficult for some who have suffered seasonal depression, making transitioning to a new season a challenge as well. Mental and emotional detox, also called emotional pruning, may be necessary to allow for healing of the mind and body. emotional detox
Sun exposure in small doses promotes healing, helping the body make vitamin D, which is vital for functioning of blood cells, bones, and the immune system. Lack of sun and low levels of vitamin D pose risks of serious health conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease.
The sun also promotes a good nights rest, which is essential to mental and emotional well-being. Taking a short walk outside in the sun while breathing in fresh air, has an array of benefits. Scientists believe the sun’s rays may even shrink fat cells!
Spending time to self-evaluate and realign priorities is the perfect way to start fresh this season. Self-care and positive thinking supports overall wellness. Letting go of negative thought patterns and behaviors, and replacing them with more positive ones allows for personal growth and healing. Reflecting on where you are and where you would like to see yourself is also a positive step to move in the direction you would like to go. emotional detox
Emotional detoxing, sometimes referred to as emotional pruning, is much like pruning a tree or shrub. Pruning away negative patterns reduces risk of developing further physical and emotional complications, creating room for positive growth and healing. When pruning a shrub, or taking away the dead part, the plant can grow and thrive at its best.
Emotional wounds take time to resolve, and at times, enlisting in the help of a therapist is a necessary step toward healing. Being mindful, and embracing the present, is a helpful approach to letting go of past hurts – leaving more room for improvement. Other wellness activities like journaling or deep breathing can reset the mind, helping reduce stress.
Tips for Emotional Detox
- Let go of negativity – Reliving past traumas or continually thinking over negative scenarios can be harmful to the mind and body, preventing positive growth. Talk to someone you trust and practice letting go of past hurts, by focusing on positive solutions.
- Embrace positive relationships – Spend time with those who make you feel loved and encouraged. Negativity can bring your energy down, making it difficult to move in a positive direction.
- Effectively manage time – Effective time management is essential to stress reduction, so that you may live a higher quality of life, and maintain more positive relationships. Carve out time to sit and have a healthy meal, grab coffee with a friend, or take a moment in your day to do something you enjoy. We make the most of our time when we’re not overly stressed.
- Practice positive self-talk – Be mindful of how you are speaking to yourself. The way we speak to ourselves affects interactions with those around us. Carefully consider the messages you are saying to yourself – this will reflect in your relationships with others.
- Create a wellness routine – Choose activities you enjoy doing to positively impact your mental health and wellness. Cooking a nice meal, spending time in nature, or getting together with a friend are all positive ways to support wellness, helping to reduce and weed out negativity.
Makin Wellness is happy in supporting you on your wellness journey. Please contact us if you would like support in setting wellness goals with a holistic approach in promoting harmony between the mind and body. Mindful eating habits, spending time in nature, and aromatherapy are a few of the ways we help our clients support their overall wellness. Spring into wellness by calling now free 15-minute consultation and begin your wellness journey today!
About Makin Wellness
Founded in 2017 , Makin Wellness is Pittsburgh’s premier therapy & coaching centers located in Downtown Pittsburgh and Downtown New Kensington. The company’s mission is to help people heal and become happy again. Makin Wellness specializes in depression, anxiety, addiction, trauma, medical marijuana assited treatment and relationship counseling.